Postcode Reflection

Postcode Reflection

A project with the freedom to choose whatever postcode you want was great for me. I decided to choose the postcode E1, Shoreditch, and Brick Lane. I have always read and heard about this part of London and how crazy it is. So, I had to go and see it myself and know the area well.

For my primary research, I had planned to visit Shoreditch every Sunday as well as other days after class. The first time I went to Shoreditch was with the class and it wasn’t what I expected but also it was not a Sunday. I went back the Sunday after our trip and in my eyes, it was completely different. It was much busier and I walked down completely different streets. When visiting Shoreditch I took many pictures. Most of them came out great but I kept going back and taking more pictures. For my secondary research, I looked at NYC Street photography (Boogie photography)along with visiting the library and looking at pictures taken in London. I looked at the old books and when visiting Shoreditch I realized many things stayed the same due to how old the area is.

From this project, I learned to get out my comfort zone and try new things. I have cut many of pictures and collaged them in my sketchbook. They became a lot more interesting afterward. A workshop area that I really enjoyed and didn’t even know it existed was the letterpress. Practice makes perfect and when I first started doing my prints, they were mostly wrong but after time I got much better and faster. In conclusion, from the postcode project, I learned a lot from inside the university being the workshops and outside the university by me knowing the area of E1 pretty well. Other than visiting Shoreditch, this project has really made me come out of my shell.